Thursday, March 4, 2010

Way Back When Wednesday - Squid Splash

We ate dinner with our co-workers almost everyday while we worked at ETS English Academy in Korea.  Usually the six of us would sit together at a round table.  The cook was an interesting person.  She was rudely fascinated with us.  She would complain about the way we were eating and make fun of us when we did it "wrong."  And our coworkers went right along with her!  Very irritating!

But one day one of our coworkers took my side.  We were sitting at a table near the back with just a short refrigerator separating us from the kitchen sink.  About halfway through the meal, I hear a big splash sound and then feel water splatter on my head, shoulders and back.  Immediately I straightened up in my seat and froze; I knew that she had just been chopping up squid.  Had she really just splashed squid water all over me??

The coworker sitting next to me, noticing the horror and disgust on my face, leaned over and asked if I had been splashed.  I told him I had and I guess he had too because he stood up, walked around to the kitchen, and chewed out the cook!

Or at least it sounded to me like he was chewing her out.  Korean men tend to sound like they're angry when they really aren't.  Oh well, I like to think he was really sticking up for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment