Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Way Back When Wednesday - "Foxy"

There was an older man in our branch named Kim Gi Seok.  He was the oldest member in our branch and therefore was very respected.  He liked to study English.  A lot.  And he was pretty good at speaking although, usually our conversations were pretty one sided.  He'd say funny, complicated things like, "Fill your stomachs to their maximum capacity."

One day he really floored me.  In the middle of a branch activity he turned to me and asked, "What does the word 'foxy' mean?"  I didn't quite know what to say!  It's not like it was a swear word but how do you explain that sort of word to an older man? 

I probably turned a little red as I explained that "foxy" meant attractive in a sort of seductive way.  He then asked if it didn't mean "like a fox."  I told him that that is one of the meanings, but it's not used quite as often (if ever) as the definition I had explained. 

He then suggested that it probably wouldn't be appropriate to use that word to describe a woman; an unknown woman I think is what he meant.  I chuckled a bit and said, "No, definitely not!"  I told him if he ever used the word it should only be to describe his own wife!!

No comments:

Post a Comment