Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Way Back When Wedesday - A Prayer Answered

I was not a very good problem solver as a kid.  When presented with a problematic situation, I worried too much.  Worrying prevents problem solving.

For example, in 6th grade, we were required to bring our own pencils and/or lead to class.  No exceptions.  I don't remember what the consequence was if we didn't and I don't remember if there really weren't any exceptions to that rule, but I do remember being really worried about some unknown consequence of not bringing my own pencil--or in my case, lead.

I was especially worried on the day of a big test in my science class when I couldn't find any lead in any of my mechanical pencils or in my pencil case.  What was I going to do?  I was sure my teacher wouldn't give my any lead or even an old fashioned pencil, and therefore wouldn't be able to take the test.  Even worse, I didn't notice my lack of writing utensil until after the test had begun so I couldn't ask a classmate for help.

At that point, I honestly couldn't see how there could be any solution to my problem.  As I panicked, I said a short, silent prayer.  I prayed that somehow I would receive the help I needed to get something to write with.  After finishing my prayer, I nervously shifted my feet as I ran though my options one more time.  I felt a small bump underneath my left foot. 

I was so relieved when I looked down and saw that the small bump was actually a piece of lead!  And not just a useless broken reject from an earlier class; it was a full piece of lead!  I gratefully loaded it into my pencil and took the test.

Now I know that in the big picture my pencil lead problem wasn't really even a problem.  My teacher probably would have helped me out.  But the experience strengthened my testimony of prayer in a big way.

No comments:

Post a Comment