Sunday, August 1, 2010

Lovely Day

We had a great Sunday today.  Nice and peaceful.  The morning hours seemed to fly by and in no time, it was time to get ready for church. 

We got there on time and were sustained in our new callings, activities committee.  When the bishop first started reading our names to stand, we were a little confused because he said, "Brian Cheney and Rachel Cheney."  We assumed it was us though and stood anyway.  The second counselor quickly corrected him.

About half-way through the meeting, Cadence started making a ruckus so the three of us sat out in the foyer.  There was another mother, Athena, who had her baby, Nika (I think that was her name, I'll have to double check), out there too.  Cadence wasted no time scurrying over there to make friends.  The two of them were so cute!  They kept smiling and squealing at each other, holding hands, and trying to grab each others' faces.  I hated to break them up once Sacrament meeting was over!

I subbed for the Relief Society pianist who was out of town this week.  I was a little late getting in to RS so there was someone else playing prelude, but she was more than happy to hand it over to me for the singing. 

I wasn't completely prepared for accompanying the Relief Society.  I knew both songs, and I think I played them both pretty well, but I didn't know how to operate the piano because it wasn't actually a piano.  It was an electric piano/organ.  It was set on the organ setting and when I started playing the opening song, it sounded really quiet.  I had never played this type of piano before so I thought that maybe it was one of those situations where the sound the player hears doesn't match up with what the singers hear.  I tried my hardest to hit the keys hard and turn up the volume when I had the chances, but nothing changed.  I wondered, but didn't stress over it.  Everyone kept singing.

After the song and prayer, one of the sisters leaned over to me and mentioned that there was an extra petal all the way over to the right that controlled the volume when the piano was on the organ setting.  The more it was pushed, the louder it played.  The closing song sounded much better.

After getting that problem fixed, the only thing I worried about was the RS President, who had just contracted me to be her daughter's piano teacher, suddenly changing her mind because I didn't know how to operate a simple electric piano/organ!  But that didn't happen.  At least not yet! :)

My dad had called earlier this morning to ask if we'd help move Mom's stuff to a new room in Ashley Manor so after church, we changed and headed over there to help.  We spent about an hour and a half moving furniture and setting up beds.  When I say we, I mean Derek and my dad.  Cadence and I spent visited Grandma Pearl and played.  Mom's new room is a lot bigger and in a much better location.  Her first room was right next to the common room with the TV, and it is always on.  LOUD!  And with the level of my mom's voice, it was really hard to have a conversation.  Her new room will be so nice!

We ate dinner at my dad's afterward and Cadence was being such a ham!  She was jabbering, bopping her head, smacking her tray and stuffing her face with Rice Krispies.  Too cute! 

Then we went over to a friend's to share some coupons and visit a little.  It was fun but we couldn't stay too long because Cadence was starting to get cranky and ready for bed. 

So here we are now.  Derek and Cadence are in bed, sleeping and I'm blogging, scanning photos, and watching Bones on Hulu.

No comments:

Post a Comment