Monday, July 19, 2010

Silly Survey

We have Clear for internet at our house.  It's a wireless modem.  It's not our favorite; it doesn't always have the best speed, but it's cheap and fairly reliable.  Recently, they asked for a picture of our modem to see where and how it was set up.  I guess they're trying to improve themselves somehow.  Then they e-mailed me and asked if I would like to participate in a 30 minute survey.  No wait, they called it an interview.  At first I thought, 30 minutes?  For an interview?  About my modem?  No way, that's stupid!  But then I re-read the e-mail and it said that if I participated, they would send me a $50 Amazon.com giftcard!  Holy cow yes!  So I e-mailed them back with today at 3pm as the date and time that would work best for me.

They called right on time.  The interview lasted 26 minutes, and can I tell you it was the silliest interview/survey I've ever participated in!!  Here's some of the questions they asked.

-Tell me the story of how you came to place your modem where you did.
I set up my computer where I wanted it so then the modem went next to it.

-Tell me about how you set up your modem.
I um, plugged it into the wall and then plugged it into my computer.

-Did you say you moved your modem from your window to your desk?  Tell me about that.
I didn't like the lights shining out the window.

-So you didn't like the sun shining on your modem?
No, I didn't like the LED lights on the top of the modem shining out the window.  LED lights usually mean something electronic and I didn't want someone going by our house and seeing them in the window and knowing there were electronics there.

-So you moved your modem out of the window so you wouldn't get robbed?
I guess so.

-You said you tried your modem in other rooms of your house.  Tell me how that went.
I wasn't 100% pleased with the reception I was getting in our office so I tried it in other rooms.  It wasn't better, so I put it back in the office.

-If you could put your modem anywhere in your house, where would you put it?
Um, in a closet?  So it wouldn't be on my desk.  It's not the prettiest thing, and it clutters up my space.

-So you would like to put your modem in a closet because it's ugly?
Well, maybe not ugly, but it's not all that great looking.

-If you were to have the design of the modem say something about Clear, what would it be?
I um, don't understand the question.  Good internet?

And the list could go on and on!  I could tell the interviewer was trying not to prompt my answers, but I hate these kinds of questions.  I feel stupid as they ask the question, and then the only way to answer them seems to make the interviewer look stupid!

I'm looking forward to my gift card though!

1 comment:

  1. That is pretty funny. I can just picture you now taking this super silly survey. Sometimes I wonder what the purpose of something like that is but I would do it too for a big gift card.

    ReplyDelete