Friday, July 9, 2010

Way Back When Wednesday - House Warming Gifts

Soon after we moved to Sokcho, one of our students and his family moved into a new apartment and they invited all the ETS teachers to come to their housewarming party.  Since we worked until 9pm, we went straight from work. 

In the elevator on the way down to the parking level, I noticed Mrs. Jung (our boss's wife) was lugging a HUGE pack of toilet paper.  I asked our co-worker why she was carrying around toilet paper, and he told me that it was a housewarming gift.

I was confused.  Toilet paper?  For a housewarming gift?  That didn't make any sense to me.  That was so ordinary, and sort of a personal item.  I expressed my surprise to him.  He was surprised at my surprise and told me that toilet paper and the like were very common gifts for a new apartment.  Something about practicality. 

I guess that made sense.  But I think a potted plant, or funky dish is much more fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment