Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sweet Baby Moment

I am so grateful that I've relaxed a bit in this mothering thing.  The first few months of Cadence's life were pretty stressful for me.  I wanted to do everything just RIGHT, I had no idea what to do, and I thought there was an exact procedure for every part of a baby's life.  Ha!  I'm still pretty strict to a schedule for Cadence, but I don't feel like it's unreasonable and it works for us.

But I have gotten a lot more flexible. 

For example, we went over to a friend's house tonight and stayed two hours past Cadence's bed time.  Five months ago, I would have been hyperventilating and pushing Derek out of their house so we could get home right on time.  But tonight Cadence was well behaved and happy, so I was too. :)

We did a short bedtime routine once we got home and Cadence was in bed by 9:30.  At 10:00 she still wasn't asleep.  Not upset, not crying, just not asleep.  Five months ago, I would have been FREAKING out.  But tonight I calmly went in to change her diaper to see if that would help the process.

If I was freaking out, I would have missed the so-happy-to-see-mommy little girl who laid on the changing table.  She smiled, kicked, squealed, and even GIGGLED when I tickled her belly! (That's unusual for Cadence.  Usually when I tickle her, she just acts annoyed.  Giggling is so much more fun!)

What a sweet baby moment that I'm so glad I didn't miss!

1 comment:

  1. Aww, how fun! You're a great mom, Rachel! We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete