Sunday, June 20, 2010

Way Back When Wednesday - Body Perseptions

One of the major differences between American culture and Korean culture that I could never get over was their willingness to be "helpful" by telling you what's wrong with your appearance.

For example, one of my coworkers (who was well known among his Korean friends to be rude) greeted me and asked if I had caught a cold.  I said, "No, why?"  His response was, "You look HORRIBLE!"  Thanks...

Another time Derek and I were visiting with the missionaries after church.  I could tell one of the missionaries was interested in a conversation two of the branch members was having across the room.  I asked him what they were saying.

"You aren't going to like it.  They're talking about Sister Lee coming home from America.  Sister Kim just said, 'Did you have a good time in America?  You look a little fatter!!'" he explained.

I was horrified!!  I couldn't believe that a woman would say that to another woman, outloud!

No comments:

Post a Comment