Sunday, June 20, 2010

Way Back When Wednesday - Trying to buy anti-itch cream

I don't speak Korean.  I lived there for a year and a half and I can read Korean, but I have no idea what I'm reading.  This makes shopping a bit difficult.  If there aren't big pictures on the packaging, I'm usually lost, and there usually aren't big pictures on anti-itch cream.

There are mosquitoes everywhere in Korea and I'm a mosquito magnet so I got bit a lot.  I went to a drugstore to find some.  I looked around for a bit but soon saw it was clear that I would need to ask for some help to find the cream. 

Asset #1:  I  know the word for mosquito... 모기 (mogi)

Problem #1:  Mogi is the only Korean word I know related to this subject.

So I decide to use English just in case the sales lady knows English.  No dice.  She smiled, but had no idea what I was talking about. 

When I don't know enough Korean and the salesperson doesn't know enough English, I end up resorting to charades hoping that will get the message across.  No dice.  And you should have seen the charades I was doing!  They were right on and totally embarrassing to boot, but the sales lady pointed at bug spray.  Not quite what I wanted.

So I ended up pulling my pant leg up to show her the bug bite and pantomiming scratching it.  That worked and she pointed to the little bottles of cream sitting on the counter right in front of me.  If only I could read AND understand what I was reading!

1 comment:

  1. Hi i'm byung jin Kim
    a Korean

    I am here, your blog from random search provided by blogger :)
    I am a beginner of google blogger !

    This story is very interesting for me.
    cause i sometimes help foreigners like u.
    don't hate korean clerk plz haha..

    have nice Summer :)

    ReplyDelete